The Real Issues with Untreated Water

We’ve seen it all in the water world. Using untreated water, to some, can seem like a fine and dandy idea. But this is really never the case. Be it a new trend of drinking untreated “raw” water, or the allure of saving money by simply not treating your home well water, or maybe even unabashed ignorance, there will always be some trying out this idea.

However, when it comes to using untreated water, no matter where it’s from, the answer should always be no. Despite probably looking like any other cup of water you’ve had in your life, there are some real issues with untreated water.

The Issues Inside

The biggest problem with untreated water is what happens when you consume it. This could be by washing your produce it in, or your dishes, or even brushing your teeth with it. Most commonly though consuming it comes simply from drinking it. No matter how it gets inside though, the problem is that it’s there at all. Untreated water can be hiding a plethora of different bacteria in its seemingly normal appearance, like cryptosporidium, escherichia coli (E. coli) and salmonella typhi, among others.

The general idea of consuming any kind of bacteria is that it can make you sick- with some making you sicker than others. This sickness is pretty similar to food poisoning, since a lot of the same bacteria is responsible for it. Across the board, typical symptoms of “water poisoning” are: watery diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramps, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, dehydration, lack of appetite, and weight loss. These symptoms can last anywhere a day to a month, depending on the bacteria responsible, your age, your health level, etc. However, this sickness can become a lot more serious for those who are very young, very old, or those with compromised immune systems, as they are more likely to develop a life-threatening form of kidney failure from certain bacteria.

The Issues Outside

The far less important issue with using untreated water is what happens when you use it to shower or wash your face. Untreated water can leave your skin feeling dry, itchy, or flaky. It has been known to cause breakouts for some people, rashes for those with sensitive skin, and most commonly been known to dry out hair, making it dull and delicate. Of course, these things all pale in comparison to what happens when you consume untreated water, but it does show that continued use, even externally, will still cause issues for you.

Bottom Line

No matter what appeal it may seem to have, untreated water is extremely unsafe for daily use. The risk of becoming sick is simply too high, and even the clearest of water may still be hiding some (sometimes) deadly bacteria. The real issues with untreated water can cause too many problems in your life, with little to no upsides.

At Faulstick Plumbing, we specialize in installs, repairs, and inspections for all of your well, water, and plumbing needs. Our family-owned and operated business has built a reputation as the best-doing things the right way with the customer in mind, every time. Give us a call at 570-992-0447 to discuss your needs today!

By |2021-08-27T11:04:14-04:00August 27th, 2021|Water Treatment|Comments Off on The Real Issues with Untreated Water